Have you heard of this show called, “The Spy”?
It is a mini-series….first of a kind I have heard of, seen and watched. I mean, it has 6 episodes only!!! This show is based on the real life of Israel‘s top Mossad spy Eli Cohen, who is portrayed by Sacha Baron Cohen. The series is a production by French company Légende Entreprises for Canal+ and Netflix.
By what I was told and seeing from Wikipedia, OCS is airing the show in France and Netflix is streaming the show internationally outside France.
The Spy is based on the book L’espion qui venait d’Israël (translated in English language as “The Spy Who Came From Israel”, written by Uri Dan and Yeshayahu Ben Porat.
The whole thing takes place during the years leading to the 1967 Six-Day War between Israel and Syria, following Cohen’s past in Egypt as an army reject, to his infiltration of the Syrian Ministry of Defense.
He assumes the identity of “Kamel Amin Thaabet” and establishes himself in Syrian high society. After having befriended people who would eventually take over Syria, Cohen is appointed as the country’s Deputy Defense Minister and becomes a close confidant to the future president Amin al-Hafiz.
Remember, to so many people, Eli is just a “businessman” but those who he operates with, in the shadows, he is the “promised Crown Jewel” of the land since all hope is in him to pull this off and teach the enemy a good lesson!
As for the rest of the cast on the show, we have;
- Hadar Ratzon-Rotem as Nadia Cohen, Eli’s wife. She plays the part of the “seemingly perfect wife” before the rest of the world but deep down, she is just like any person on this planet. (not exactly sure about what they are doing). Besides, you remember her from Homeland?
- Noah Emmerich as Dan Peleg. He is quite the common face from The Hot Zone and The Americans.
- Then, there is Nassim Si Ahmed as Ma’azi Zaher al-Din. Remember his face from works like Marseille? Did you know that he is a 2019 French Kickboxing champion, too?
- Look we have here! Moni Moshonov as Jacob Shimoni. Isn’t this amazing since we last saw him in Deadline, that cool classic?
- Alona Tal as Julia Schneider. You must surely never forget her face from Veronica Mars, SEAL Team and Supernatural?
- Mourad Zaoui as Benny. Weren’t you in The Blacklist?
- Alexander Siddig as Ahmed Suidani. You are truly unforgettable from Gotham and 24?
- Marc Maurille as IDF sergeant. I hope you live to recall Marc from Discrepance.
- Waleed Zuaiter as Colonel Amin al-Hafiz. Recall him from London Has Fallen?
- Arié Elmaleh as Michel Aflaq. Recall Arie from The Kids?
- Hassam Ghancy as Colonel Salim Hatum. Isn’t Hassam familiar from Rendition and Traitor?
- Uri Gavriel as sheikh Majid al-Ard. I still miss him from Noah’s Ark, you know.
- Tim Seyfi as Mohammed bin Laden. I am not sure where else I have seen Tim but I sure as hell remember him in Geronimo!
~ Have a blast ~